“Rocksteady at the Heavy Music Awards” by Stuart S
Author: Stephanie House
The first Heavy Music Awards were held on 24th August 2017 in the vaulted archways of London’s House of Vans, just below Waterloo station. Rocksteady were proud to be in attendance as one of the official supporters of the event. The evening started off with live music from the Alt Punk 4-piece band “Dead!” whose very catchy tracks, including new single “Up For Ran$om”, and a cover of “My Generation” by the Who, kept everyone entertained as people entered the venue. The energetic vibe of the music continued with the second band of the evening, Scottish rockers “Vukovi” who put on a truly great show. Their bright outfits and the powerful voice of lead singer Janine, reflected the upbeat approach they take to rock!
Scottish Rockers “Vukovi”
The focus of the evening was of course the actual awards themselves, which were voted for by hundreds of experts from the music industry and presented by Alex Baker and Sophie K from Kerrang! Radio. The first award was for Best Album which was won by Brighton metal core band “Architects” for their album “All Our Gods Have Abandoned Us”. Next came the award for best live band which was given to fellow British rockers “Shikari”. Other awards on the night included Brixton Academy taking home the award for Best Venue, and Black Sabbath were awarded Best UK Band.
Winners of best live band British rockers “Shikari”
There were many great live acts on the night including the insanely heavy 5-piece band from Wales, “Venom Prison”, who did not disappoint, making sure they got everyone’s attention with their thundering guitars and deep growling vocals. Headline act for the night was Southampton based horror punk band “Creeper” who had just returned from touring America on the legendary Vans Warped Tour. The band had the whole crowd jumping and singing along, bringing the night to a close. Maybe in the future we might see some Rocksteady graduates playing and winning awards of their own!
Full list of winners:
- BEST ALBUM presented by EMP – Architects: All Our Gods Have Abandoned U
- THE H – Ashley Maile
- BEST UK BAND presented by UPRAWR – Black Sabbath
- BEST INTERNATIONAL BAND presented by PPL – Gojira
- BEST LIVE BAND presented by Eagle Rock Entertainment – Enter Shikari
- BEST BREAKTHROUGH BAND presented by House of Vans London – I Prevail
- BEST ALBUM ARTWORK presented by The Pit – Ghost: Popestar (Zbigniew M Bielak)
- BEST PRODUCER presented by Believe – Fredrik Nordström & Henrik Udd
- BEST PHOTOGRAPHER presented by Olympus – Ben Gibson
- BEST FESTIVAL presented by Jackson Guitars – Download Festival
- BEST VENUE presented by Scuzz – O2 Academy, Brixton